expect-lite

Gianfranco Costamagna costamagnagianfranco at yahoo.it
Mon Feb 15 20:29:28 UTC 2016

(Fixing the topic)
>Thank you very much, Gianfanco,

you are welcome
>I appreciate your time and effort. I also agree, that I should submit to debian, to allow more people access to my package. I will look into it.

https://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/ (section ITP), you need for sure to start with opening a bug, to let people know about your intent.
(it takes a couple of minutes)

>Would it be possible for you to share with me the .dsc, debian.tar.gz and orig.tar.gz? I have been using dpkg -b to build packages, but apparently that is not how >the world does it, and I need to learn the correct way.

sure, but what about taking them from ubuntu xenial?
pull-lp-source packagename, or
click here
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/expect-lite
find the source package, the dsc file link, and dget -u it
(hint: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/expect-lite/4.9.0-0ubuntu1)

I don't want to give you too much stuff, but I prefer you to ask me if something is not clear ;)

to have the package in debian you have to:
open an ITP bug.
Ask (me?) to review the packaging,
rebase the changelog to a single entry "4.9.0-1" with "initial release: closes: #ITP bug"
and optional some "taken from Ubuntu" string.

submit it on mentors.debian.org, or on your favourite ftp/http server or whatever.

You can create the source tarball with
"dpkg-buildpackage -S -sa"

this will give me all the stuff I need to build/sponsor the package.
(the packaging should be good, so having it in debian should be a matter of two changes in changelog, looking carefully
at licenses, to avoid non-dfsg licenses in the package, and upload).

I "expect" (not so funny, but meh) you to ask sponsorship whenever a new release comes out, the packaging is simple, so updating
should be a matter of
uscan --debug
uupdate ../new-tarball
cd ../new-packaging
dpkg-buildpackage -S -sa  (after checking the changelog, and the target series that has to be "unstable"
ask for sponsors

cheers,

Gianfranco

Hi,