On fresh installation of beta 2, DSL/PPPoE doesn't work

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Oct 14 12:44:13 UTC 2015

On Wed, 14 Oct 2015 10:33:10 +0300, Mustafa Muhammad wrote:
>I've reported this days before 15.04 release, there were no time to fix
>before that release.
>https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/1446689
>Now, we are approaching 15.10, the fix should be straight forward,
>adding a build flag or adding pppoe as a dependency.
>Could you please fix before release.

Hi,

PPPoE does work, your subject should mention that NetworkManager needs
a fix, since PPPoE doesn't need a fix.

$ cat /mnt/moonstudio/etc/issue
Ubuntu Wily Werewolf (development branch) \n \l

$ ls -hAl /mnt/moonstudio/usr/local/sbin/alice*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2.0K Jul 30
16:38 /mnt/moonstudio/usr/local/sbin/alice
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1.7K
Sep 26 16:35 /mnt/moonstudio/usr/local/sbin/alice-dhcp

The first script more or less runs

modprobe -v pppoe
ip link set enp3s0 up
pon dsl-provider

if wanted launched at startup by a systemd unit. NetworkManager isn't
installed. Apart from those 3 short commands I set up pppoe using
pppoeconf. It provides a ncurses UI to make the settings, so the few
users who use pppoe instead of dhcp don't need to be experienced Linux
users to set up pppoe without NetworkManager.

Don't get me wrong, it's good that you mention that NetworkManager
should provide PPPoE by default. I only want to point out that PPPoE
does work.

Regards,
Ralf