GNOME Files (Nautilus) very out-dated

kahping the.weird at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 23:33:44 UTC 2015

I'm not expecting gEdit to get updated in 15.10. Just responding to the
previous email.

But gEdit hasn't seen an update for a long time so it'd be nice to finally
see it get an update.

On Sat, Nov 21, 2015 at 5:06 PM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>
wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Nov 2015 22:43:18 +0100, Abel wrote:
> >I'm on Ubuntu 15.10 64 bits and I've noticed that GNOME Files
> >(Nautilus) application is in version 3.14.2, while most of the other
> >GNOME apps on 15.10 are in 3.16.2.
>
> On Sat, 21 Nov 2015 16:12:25 +0800, kahping wrote:
> >gEdit is 3.10.4 which is much older than that. Maybe update that
> >first?
>
> Hi,
>
> do Nautilus and Gedit not work? Are they broken ore are there security
> holes? If so, report it to the bug tracker. If not, why do you
> expect it to be upgraded for an Ubuntu release that already is released?
>
> Assumed all dependencies are available and upstream provides stable
> 3.16.2 releases of Nautilus and Gedit you easily could build the
> packages yourself, take a look at the Ubuntu Wikis and help pages. You
> can use the source packages of existing versions and replace the source
> code with the source code from upstream to build new packages. You do
> not need to be a power user or coder to do this, just follow a Wiki or
> help page's step by step guide. I quite sure there are such howtos.
>
> Ubuntu isn't a rolling release distro, upgrades won't happen just for
> version hunting purpose. The disadvantage of version hunting is the
> risk to break stability and new features could break the work-flow,
> so companies might need to train there employees to use newer versions.
>
> Regards,
> Ralf
> --
> "Pull a Homer -- to succeed despite idiocy." - The Simpsons

On Ubuntu <http://onubuntu.blogspot.com> | Twitter
<http://www.twitter.com/kahping03>

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
  --  Leonardo da Vinci