Windows type shortcuts to files and folders

Sam Bull sam.hacking at sent.com
Tue Jul 14 13:08:16 UTC 2015

On Sun, 2015-07-12 at 15:51 +0200, Johan Kriel wrote:
> Please guys, seriously consider the implementation of shortcuts as used
> by Windows in Ubuntu. Those shortcuts are of real good use and they
> don't create unnecessary extra symbolic paths to any folder. They are a
> simple direct jump to another folder somewhere on your disc.

Shortcuts are the equivalent of symbolic links. There is no functional
difference.

It sounds like the issue is that you have Banshee searching areas that
you don't want it to. If the symlinks are outside the Music folder, then
you just need to make Banshee only searches the Music folder.
	If the symlinks are inside the Music folder, then it'll create an
endless loop when searching through the folder. I can't imagine any
reason for doing this, so if they are in the Music folder, then perhaps
explain what you're trying to achieve with them (or maybe there's an
advanced setting in Banshee to stop it following symlinks).