Windows type shortcuts to files and folders

Johan Kriel jek at hotmail.co.za
Sun Jul 12 13:51:55 UTC 2015

I have posted a suggestion in this regard before, but I want to
reiterate the importance of it. Symbolic links as currently used in
Ubuntu really are more of a nuisance than of any good use. I recently
had a problem with Banshee. There were three copies of all my music in
the playlists, and no matter how many times I removed the extra copies,
next time there were three copies again. You can imagine my frustration.
Then I discovered that there exist three different paths to my music
because of symbolic links that I have. Banshee interprets this as three
different folders and automatically adds the music from each one
independently, resulting in three copies of each song in my playlists.
The only way I could solve the problem was to delete all symbolic links.
Which were there for a purpose in the first place.

Please guys, seriously consider the implementation of shortcuts as used
by Windows in Ubuntu. Those shortcuts are of real good use and they
don't create unnecessary extra symbolic paths to any folder. They are a
simple direct jump to another folder somewhere on your disc.

Regards
Johan Kriel