Launchpad Search Improvements

Vítor Barbosa vitorbarbosanc at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 20:46:24 UTC 2015

Hi,

I'd like to suggest some improvements to Launchpad search.

In Arch, we have AUR, which has a lot of packages at the same place and you
can just look for one and choose the best based on user's votes.
Ubuntu has a huge number of packages too, but when we want to install more
software that's not included in the Software Center, we have to Google it
and trust some PPA.
There's a search engine, but the results don't include votes or any
reputation, it's hard to choose the right package. Give it a look:

AUR Search: http://i.imgur.com/UgF6bhE.png --- A lot of search options, and
a nice "Votes" ranking.

Launchpad Search: http://i.imgur.com/73xOyNl.png --- No advanced search
options at all.

It is a very useful tool that's missing in the Ubuntu package ecosystem.

Thanks,

Vítor.