Anti-feature: installing and replacing applications on update

Saqman2060 saqman2060 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 15:44:49 UTC 2015

-----Original Message-----
From: "Bernie" <spraff at gmail.com>
Sent: ‎1/‎26/‎2015 9:26 AM
To: "ubuntu-devel-discuss at lists.ubuntu.com" <ubuntu-devel-discuss at lists.ubuntu.com>
Subject: Anti-feature: installing and replacing applications on update

I just did an upgrade of Kubuntu 14.10, first in a few weeks.

When I downloaded a .zip in Firefox it asked me to open it in "Archive Mounter" instead of "Ark" then nothing happened. I opened the downloads folder from Firefox and it opened in Nautilus instead of Dolphin.

So, the upgrade process

a) installed a whole new application without my permission, and
b) changed my file associations, again without my permission.

Upgrades simply should NOT do this, they should only upgrade programs which are already installed. I think IBus also installed itself without my permission a while ago too, and that is causing problems.

Policy changes as to which applications are installed should only happen in new releases. I am extremely annoyed, I should not have to take time out of my day to fix these. Consider also that it is not easy to find out what changes have taken place. I don't want to be given more than I asked for.

Thanks for reading.