dpkg packaging problems

Ben Hutchings ben at decadent.org.uk
Fri Jan 2 18:12:00 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-01-02 at 18:16 +0100, Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
wrote:
> On 02.01.2015 17:08, Martin Pitt wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > Yes, man dh_fixperms. Shared libraries don't need to and should not be
> > executable.
>
> Oh, wasn't aware of that. Just used to that as gcc sets that flag.
> Is it a bug in gcc, or are there platforms where +x is required ?

ld sets the flag, and I suspect this is because it can't tell the
difference between a shared library and a PIE.

A shared library may work as a executable anyway, e.g.:

$ /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so.6
GNU C Library (Debian GLIBC 2.19-13) stable release version 2.19, by Roland McGrath et al.
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
[...]

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Theory and practice are closer in theory than in practice.