Packaging an application

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Dec 29 07:40:09 UTC 2015

On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 11:11:53 +0530, Lloyd wrote:
>I understand that dpkg wont install the dependencies.

Assumed all dependencies should be available by the repositories

$ sudo -i
# cd path/to/package/
# apt-get update && dpkg -i --force-depends packagename.deb && apt-get install -f

might do the trick. But since force options should be avoided

$ sudo -i
# cd path/to/package/
# apt-get update && apt-get install list.deb of.deb dependencies.deb && dpkg -i packagename.deb

>What is the best way to make the installation hassle free for the user?

Only to depend on packages provided by the official repositories ;).

To compile without usage of shared dependencies and to install the
software together with it's dependencies to opt/?

To ensure that installing/updating shared dependencies won't break any Ubuntu
install and to provide the package and all dependencies by a PPA, resp.
by the mentioned CD?