How shall I report a bug in the .deb packaging itself?

Russ Allbery rra at debian.org
Sun Dec 27 21:15:29 UTC 2015

Alberto Salvia Novella <es20490446e at gmail.com> writes:

> The problem seems to be that the package manager does not make its basic
> functionality, which is to make clear for users which packages they wish
> to remove.

> For me it seems a minor problem that a console tool could be removed,
> compared with packages accumulating and no longer been able to tell which
> of those are really needed or not.

I completely disagree.  A package manager should default to retaining
packages in case they're useful, not default to removing them.  Removing
packages is far more destructive than keeping unused packages.

> Specially when the kind of user who uses the console is who could tell
> when this tool will be removed, and the package manager would list
> those.

There are multiple tools that do things like this.  I'm very happy with
how apt works now; I think it's correctly doing what it should in the
situation described in this thread.

--
Russ Allbery (rra at debian.org)               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>