Jump start help needed.

Martinx - ジェームズ thiagocmartinsc at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 22:24:36 UTC 2015

Hello Vishnu!

You're in the right place! Ubuntu and Debian are the most advanced
Linux distributions ever created...   :-)

You can try, for example:

---
sudo apt-get install build-essential
---

This command will install compilers and libraries for you.

You might also be interested in Golang, which is very, very
impressive, and/or Mono/C# development, for example:

---
sudo apt-get install golang

sudo apt-get install monodevelop
---

Also, Ubuntu have tools like Eclipse or Codeblocks, ready for you!

---
sudo apt-get install eclipse

sudo apt-get install codeblocks
---

Basically, with Debian / Ubuntu, there is no need to download and
install softwares from different places on the Internet, the
repositories are full of packages!

To search for a software, you can try:

apt-cache search icedtea plugin

Icedtead runs Java applets in Firefox, for example...

Do you want VLC? Or ugly Flash? No problem...

sudo apt-get install vlc

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

What about LibDVDCSS ?

Just run:

sudo apt-get install libdvdread4
sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh

---

Ubuntu have something very cool, for example, let say you want to have
the "java" command, but you don't have it installed... Well, Ubuntu
will tell you which package brings the "java" command if you type it
at the console! For example:

---
thiago at ubuntu-1:~$ java
The program 'java' can be found in the following packages:
 * default-jre
 * gcj-4.8-jre-headless
 * openjdk-7-jre-headless
 * gcj-4.6-jre-headless
 * openjdk-6-jre-headless
Try: sudo apt-get install <selected package>
-

Then, run:

sudo apt-get install default-jre
---

Have more questions? You can also try: askubuntu.com!   ;-)

Also, you might note that Ubuntu is REALLY a plug-and-play O.S., you
can just plug your printer and use it, your sound board, video board,
tv capture board, everything you plug, you just works! No need for
junk CD Drivers to this and to that...   :-D

Hope it helps!

Cheers!
Thiago