Errors when building a kernel

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Sat Aug 22 10:20:33 UTC 2015

Am Samstag, den 22.08.2015, 11:44 +0200 schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
> On Sat, 22 Aug 2015 05:26:24 -0400, Tom H wrote:
> >You seemed to imply in your first email that the above was failing
> >(IIRC!). If the above's working, where's the problem?
>
> This does work to build kernel packages, so I don't need howtos about
> building kernels. I asked for help regarding the issues I experienced,
> IOW I ask for tips for editing the config and to check if building
> modules fails without compiling.

and on an ubuntu list the right answer to this question is to run:
fakeroot debian/rules editconfigs

...in an ubuntu prepared kernel tree, i'ts very simple ...

there are upstream based kernel trees as well as mainline that have the
right config setup for in their debian/rules on kernel.ubuntu.com, if
you want to verify *anything* kernel side by changing a config setup you
should do it with the right tree not with an upstream tarball where you
obviously also edited the config by hand ...

it is really hard to help you if you refuse to accept any help all the
time ... your way to optimally build stuff on arch might not be the
right way to do stuff on a debian based distro (and even the debian way
to build a kernel differs massively from the ubuntu way, *specifically*
for kernels)

if you just want to know if an arch kernel wakes up your disk when
running with ubuntu userspace you could as well just copy over the
binaries from a running arch system. if you want to find an offending
config option in an ubuntu kernel you should probably not switch all
variables at the same time as the result will be pointless.

please note that people here are trying to help you by pointing to the
right docs and places how to achieve your goal. getting a foot stomping
answer that your way is the only right way is not really encouraging to
help you any further.

ciao
	oli