equivalent of chkconfig

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 15:39:40 UTC 2015

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 7:00 AM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Aug 2015 05:52:20 -0400, Tom H wrote:
>>On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 12:13 PM, Ralf Mardorf
>><ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:

>>> What next?
>>>
>>> Actually everything I pointed out is correct, it's not unfounded FUD.
>>> Even you mentioned that not all services are ported over.
>>>
>>> It's not that hard for me to make a profound comparison between an
>>> Arch Linux install, that finished the transition 3 years ago and
>>> follows systemd from upstream and an Ubuntu Wily install, since they
>>> are running on the same machine and I'm using an upstream systemd
>>> with all services ported.
>>>
>>> You actually don't know what you are talking about, if you call
>>> Ubuntus systemd implementation transparent. It's a mess, the
>>> transition is _not_ finished, init related files are spread over
>>> different locations.
>>
>> You might have a point if systemd upstream didn't provide
>> systemd-sysv-generator and systemd-sysv-install.
>>
>> Ubuntu and Debian are simply using upstream tools that allow for
>> hybrid init systems.
>
> As pointed out by previous mails.
>
> The FHS still allows distros to put files to different locations,
> e.g. Ubuntu's /etc/init.d/ could be /etc/rc.d/ or /usr/bin/ for other
> distros.

What does the FHS have to do with init.d/rc.d or service/systemctl/...?!

> So the well-known service-wrapper individually written for those
> different distros made it easy to write scripts e.g. checking the
> status.
>
> Now Ubuntu does provide a wrapper, that assumed a script tries to check
> the status, instead does provide what systemctl status provides.
>
> 1. systemctl status provides this kind of status information, so why
> doing it by service too?

For the sake of continuity. People might still use "service" in
scripts or because it's hard-wired in their fingers.

You're complaining about Ubuntu providing a hydrid init system but
you're also complaining when it updates new tools to provide native
systemd output!

> 2. Now all old scripts usable with different distros using the
> service wrapper can't be used with Ubuntu anymore.

They can be used but they've been updated to match the default init
system's output.

IIRC, service's status used to output "daemon is running" not what
systemctl outputs, and not what your "/etc/init.d/rtsomething status"
output.