equivalent of chkconfig

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Mon Aug 17 14:46:29 UTC 2015

hi,
Am Montag, den 17.08.2015, 15:36 +0100 schrieb João M. S. Silva:
> Yes, it is:
>
> $ dpkg -l|grep network-manager
> $ dpkg -l|grep modemmanager
> ii  modemmanager                        1.0.0-2ubuntu1
>      amd64        D-Bus service for managing modems
>
> Thanks Oli, that sounds reasonable. I tried it but:
>
> $ service modemmanager status
> modemmanager stop/waiting
>
> $ dmesg |grep -i modemmanager
> [    2.888050] init: modemmanager main process ended, respawning
> [    2.923251] init: modemmanager main process ended, respawning
> (...)
> [    3.731722] init: modemmanager respawning too fast, stopped
a wild guess would be that modem-manager uses dbus, so adjust yopur
"start on" accordingly ... any perhaps it can not work at all without a
running network-manager, are you sure it can ?
also look at the upstart job log for your modem-manager job ... they
live in /var/log/upstart, that should have actual error messages.

> $ cat modemmanager.override
> # modemmanager - modem manager
> #
> # The ModemManager daemon manages the system's mobile broadband connections
> # for NetworkManager.
> #
> # added by jmss
>
> description	"modem connection manager"
>
> start on startup
> stop on runlevel [!2345]

do not put the stuff below into your override, the .conf file already
covers it ... override files only replace the bits you define. just
leave the exec and whatnot as it is defined ... you only want start on/
stop on in your .override ...

> respawn
>
> pre-start script
>      [ -x /usr/sbin/ModemManager ] || stop