equivalent of chkconfig

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Mon Aug 17 13:24:07 UTC 2015

Am Montag, den 17.08.2015, 12:38 +0100 schrieb João M. S. Silva:

> does it mean I'm not using systemd? I don't seem to have systemd
> installed (Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS).

update-rc.d and invoke-rc.d are tools for package maintainers only (to
be used from pre/postinst scripts) and only applies to sysv-init
scripts ...

if you need to prevent an upstart service from starting on boot you need
to create a .override files containing the word "manual", as described
in your askubuntu links. i dont think there exists a tool to do that for
you (and such a tool would be quite overkill to replace a one liner
anyway :) )

note that by debian policy a service shipped in a deb is required to
always start, the debian assumption is that you uninstall the deb if you
do not want to run the service ([1] has some details).

ciao
	oli

[1]
http://blog.zugschlus.de/archives/974-Debians-Policy-rc.d-infrastructure-explained.html