How to file a bug against an unknown package? - Was: Green hard disk drives

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Aug 13 13:47:05 UTC 2015

Thank you,

unfortunately it doesn't help.

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 14:12:23 +0100, João M. S. Silva wrote:
>I'm not sure if I understood your issue correctly, but I also have a
>server with a mechanical disk which periodically spins, don't know why.
>
>There are tools like powertop or so, but I guess you already tried
>that. I think I also did and it didn't help.
>
>Maybe try Linux (kernel) IRC channel?

It's not a server, just an install from a server ISO, because this
was the minimalist install I could find.

I want that the green drive spins down, I don't want that buggy
software wakes up the green drive. The drive should stay asleep.

I'm used to Arch Linux, I don't want an OOTB install with tons of
unwanted default configs and unwanted packages. Arch and Ubuntu are the
most used distros for audio productions, so to contribute to Linux
audio, it would be useful to have an Ubuntu install parallel to my Arch
install.

Now the problem is, that I can't find the package that does cause the
issue. My drive stays asleep when using Arch Linux! IOW there
already must be some package installed for Ubuntu Wily, that I don't
want to have installed.

It's not kernel related, it must be some disk monitoring, that's why
GVFS never is installed on my systems and that's why for testing
purpose I removed a few packages, such as udisks2 from the Ubuntu
install.