equivalent of chkconfig

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Wed Aug 5 04:09:35 UTC 2015

João M. S. Silva [2015-08-04 17:38 +0100]:
> I suggest an equivalent of Fedora's chkconfig for server startup service
> administration.
>
> It seems strange that a simple solution for this problem does not already
> exist

It has existed forever in Debian and Ubuntu and is called update-rc.d,
see its manpage. It integrates with all init systems.

Wrt. the followup discussion, you can also use systemctl directly (it
will call update-rc.d for SysV init scripts) in Ubuntu 15.04 and
later.

Martin