equivalent of chkconfig

Luis Mondesi lemsx1 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 21:34:56 UTC 2015

I believe RHEL 7 does the right thing with chkconfig. It's simply an abstraction. Systemctl is fine, but that's probably overkill for simply turning things on or off.

systemctl status foo
systemctl disable foo
systemctl stop foo

As opposed to:
chkconfig foo off

My guess is that it should be relatively simple to write your own wrapper once you know what you're doing. However, to keep things simple for everybody else, it's better to have somebody who knows better actually write this wrapper for the rest of us. That way the documentation stays simple for all future init replacements. Makes the vendors happy as well as the end users.

Just my 2 cents...

--
Luis