What's the plan for PHP support in LTS releases?

Robie Basak robie.basak at ubuntu.com
Tue Sep 23 16:38:55 UTC 2014

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 05:30:16PM +0100, Oli Warner wrote:
> But PHP upgrades also have backwards incompatibilities so SRUing them
> through is haphazard.

Right. Our users don't expect PHP to break for them in the middle of a
stable release, so we can't SRU newer releases wholesale. Then at least
our users can have stability.

In general, this seems to work well enough. Users will deploy 14.04 in
new deployments today, and 12.04 users have already found, filed and
have SRU'd fixes for things they need.

That doesn't cover everything though, of course. Users on a 12.04
deployment may still find issues that affect them during a deployment
update.

> So what's the plan? Is somebody manually backporting fixes?

Fixes can be SRU'd if somebody files a bug and provides a patch that
meets SRU criteria. When this happens I generally try and help get them
through the SRU process.

The Debian maintainer (Ondřej Surý) maintains a PPA for users who want a
newer version of PHP in the LTS[1]. It'd also be great if somebody could
drive getting updates in to trusty-backports, but that doesn't happen
right now.

Is there anything else that you think we should be doing here?

[1] https://launchpad.net/~ondrej/+archive/ubuntu/php5