The fate of Upstart

Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult enrico.weigelt at gr13.net
Sat Nov 29 16:59:58 UTC 2014

On 28.11.2014 13:41, Ben Tinner wrote:

Hi,

> Recently, the developers of Ubuntu have decided to migrate the init
> system from upstart to systemd.
>
> So, I would like to find out what will happen to upstart after Ubuntu
> complete its transition to systemd.

That might also depend on which init systems the debianfork project is
going to support upstart (besides openrc and sysv init), and how many
Ubuntu folks move over to debianfork. I, personally, *will* move over,
as soon as systemd becomes mandatory (if there wasn't debianfork, it
would be Gentoo). The already mandatory Lennartware already caused
more than enough pain.

Actually, I'm preparing a fork of NetworkManager, getting rid of all
the dbus and polkit crap, which causes more problems than it solves.
Haven't decided yet, whether the interface will be fuse or 9P (both
have their pros and cons), but definitively will be a data driven
filesystem-based approach. In the next round, I'll heavily trim down
network-manager-gnome to get rid of all the unnecessary stuff
(eg. I dont use BT, and i dont want it. period.)

cu
--
Enrico Weigelt,
metux IT consulting