Thoughts about software-properties

Dimitri John Ledkov xnox at ubuntu.com
Thu Nov 6 11:13:53 UTC 2014

Heya,

On 2 August 2010 14:04, Mohammed Amine IL Idrissi
<ilidrissiamine at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I was discussing with Michael Vogt about an idea I've had for a long time,
> and he recommended me to share my thoughts here. So, here goes nothing:
>
> Software-properties is one of the few applications that still relies on
> gksu. I was about to convert it to aptdaemon/policykit, when I thought of
> this: "Why don't we just separate software-properties into both
> update-manager and software-center?"

There was also a proposal from mpt to make software-properties a panel
inside [gnome|unity-]control-center instead of a stand-alonish app.
My secret plan to achieve that was going to use gtk plug/socket to
embed software-properties written in python into otherwise compiled
".so" control-center panel plugin.

This is the root pagadim behind mockups in
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SoftwareUpdateHandling#settings. That way all
aps related to updates can launch/open control-center to control such
a core part of the operating system.

--
Regards,

Dimitri.