Creation of a proper Mono PPA

Anthony Papillion anthony at cajuntechie.org
Sun Jun 15 19:37:41 UTC 2014

On 06/15/2014 10:31 AM, Alexander Trauzzi wrote:

<snip>

> So, be it resolved that the current options for Mono are just not
> cutting it, I'd like to propose that a PPA or appropriate equivalent be
> made or an existing official PPA be reworked to meet the following criteria:
>
>  - Both nightly and stable builds of the entire core Mono & Monodevelop
> ecosystem
>  - Both 32 and 64 bit if possible
>  - Development libraries so that integrations (edge.js) can happen
>  - Packages integrate system-wide using the update-alternatives
> mechanism, similar to java and other runtimes
>  - Built using equivalent parameters and conventions used to produce
> Ubuntu universe packages
>  - Optional: NuGet
>  - Optionally & Ideally: Liase with Xamarin and open up a channel of
> communication with them to see if they're either willing to help or advise

As a fellow C# lover, I wholeheartedly second this proposal! While I
know there's a lot of stigma about C# on Linux, it really is a beautiful
and useful language that deserves not to be confined only to Windows.
It's formally standardized and has a lot of community and corporate
support. I think Ubuntu would do very well to maintain a proper, updated
PPA for Mono.

If you do this, I'd be happy to lend a hand at maintaining it if you
want. Modern C# on Linux is an important and useful idea!

Anthony