amon at vnl.com
Mon Jun 2 06:49:06 UTC 2014
I've made enough progress to get work done but there are still
things I don't like much as well as things that don't work.
* I have not yet found which settings panel has the screensaver
setup to make it run the slideshow over ~/Pictures. I would
swear that this used to be part of the lock panel.
* Even though I set my power settings to do nothing when the
lid closes, I still had a hard lockup of my laptop when
I got home from work on Friday. I had to reboot.
* This evening I tried the lock screen and it would not accept
my password. I had to
to get control back.
* I have still not found out how to get launchers on the top tool
bar. Nor have I found out how to put them in the less convenient
Applications menu. For the time being I've got a couple desktop
launchers for xterm and xemacs but they often get covered.
* The desktop switching is cute and I am limping along with it, but
it is not fast. I'm used to looking in the lower corner, seeing
where I want to go and just sweeping the mouse down and clicking
to get there. The upper right corner thing would be okay if it
put your cursor on the current window so you could click and move
really quickly. But even then, the miniature desktop views only
include one screen and the things I am looking for are often on
the other, really big screen that is to my right at home or work.
* For most of these things, it would be much, much better to just
click on the upper or lower tool bar and get the tool bar customization
in a menu; do some click in the Applications to update and also
there should be drag and drop into it and to the tool bars. In many
ways I find workspace manager technology less friendly than in the
old classics like cwm and afterstep.
More information about the Ubuntu-devel-discuss