Backlight level save and restore as a init-script / upstart job for laptops

Nrbrtx nrbrtx at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 21:53:18 UTC 2014

Dear Petter!

Thank you for reply.

Here is a list:

   - in Arch backlight brightness load and save are provided by systemd
   (see Arch wiki
   <https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/backlight#systemd-backlight_service>),
   it is in systemd
   <https://www.archlinux.org/packages/core/x86_64/systemd/> package.
   - in OpenSUSE 13.1, OpenSUSE 13.2, CentOS 7, Fedora 20, Fedora 21,
   Mageia 4 - systemd package
   <http://pkgs.org/search//usr/lib/systemd/systemd-backlight?type=files>
   - Sabayon has /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-backlight service
   - ALT Linux p7 has systemd, but does not have
   /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-backlight service
   - in Debian Jessie
   <https://packages.debian.org/search?suite=jessie&arch=any&mode=path&searchon=contents&keywords=systemd-backlight>
   and Debian sid
   <https://packages.debian.org/search?suite=sid&arch=any&mode=path&searchon=contents&keywords=systemd-backlight>
   there is /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-backlight service
   - in Ubuntu Utopic
   <http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?searchon=contents&keywords=systemd-backlight&mode=filename&suite=utopic&arch=any>
   and Ubuntu Vivid
   <http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?searchon=contents&keywords=systemd-backlight&mode=filename&suite=vivid&arch=any>
   there is /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-backlight service

There is no backlight load/save functionality in (neither upstart nor
systemd):

   - Ubuntu Lucid
   - Ubuntu Precise
   - Ubuntu Trusty
   - Debian Wheezy
   - Debian Squeeze

So it seems that modern distros have backlight load/save functionality
via systemd-backlight
service
<http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd-backlight@.service.html>,
but older systems does not have this functionality at all.
For older (but supported) systems one can use my script with symlinks (may
be with some files in /etc/pm/). I mean Debian 6, 7 and Ubuntu 12.04, 14.04.

If you have any suggestions and recommendations - I'm ready to hear.
What you and other developers think?

With best regards,
Norbert.

P.S. I found interesting projects for the same purpose - first is named
Light and hosted on GitHub <https://github.com/haikarainen/light>
(previously known as LightScript
<http://haikarainen.dotgeek.org/lightscript/>), second is named Relight
<http://xyne.archlinux.ca/projects/relight/>. But I think that init-script