virtualbox dependency

Scott Richardson scott.richardson at visionsystemsinc.com
Wed Dec 3 18:14:27 UTC 2014

virtualbox-qt (4.3.10-dfsg-1) requires virtualbox-dkms. Without this, I get
the following error when I try to start a virtual machine:

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there
is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel
module by executing

'/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup'

as root. If it is available in your distribution, you should install the
DKMS package first. This package keeps track of Linux kernel changes and
recompiles the vboxdrv kernel module if necessary.

However, /etc/init.d/vboxdrv does not exist. But if I install
virtualbox-dkms manually my virtual machine will start up. It seems like
virtualbox should at least suggest virtualbox-dkms be installed.

I'm using Mint 17 and Synaptic.

thanks
Scott