Devuan

Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult enrico.weigelt at gr13.net
Tue Dec 2 21:25:09 UTC 2014

On 02.12.2014 11:24, Martin Pitt wrote:

Hi folks,

> Indeed that's another example where Debian offers a choice but Ubuntu
> doesn't -- we examine the alternatives, pick one, and support nothing
> else. (cf. combinatorial explosion and efficient maintenance and
> support).

by the way: could anybody please enlighten me why you folks
are rolling an own distro at all ?

I'd guess it has something to do with LTS ... right ?
But wouldn't it be more efficient to just pick stable Debian
releases and do the LTS there ?

Am I missing some vital aspect ?

> (Technical problems, not "I don't like it" :-) ).

Well, the "I dont like it" aspect shouldn't be underestimated.
I regularily observed migration projects failing, not for
technical reasons, but users simply not liking the new systems
(sometimes even pretty trivial things like menus looking different).

This also relates to usability, which is _very_ subjective.

cu
--
Enrico Weigelt,
metux IT consulting