irqbalance and at daemons by default?

Daniel J Blueman daniel at quora.org
Tue Mar 26 10:38:50 UTC 2013

When setting up Ubuntu servers and desktops, two daemons I always
remove are the atd and irqbalance.

irqbalance is perhaps good when you have a server with quad-port NIC
with a high rate of small packets and have found it to benefit over
the kernel's interrupt allocation (but wastes time and energy
otherwise); finally, the demographic who know and use the at daemon
must be >1% surely.

What justification do we have for continuing forcing these on users by
default? (and can we win back some a slightly leaner, securer setup by
revisiting this logic?)
--
Daniel J Blueman