Proposal to change default search engine

Benjamin Kerensa bkerensa at ubuntu.com
Mon Jun 24 20:48:58 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 1:23 PM, Alexander Hanff
<a.hanff at think-privacy.com>wrote:

> Why would it have to occur upstream?

It wouldn't necessarily but making such a change would create a delta that
Ubuntu would carry. I really cannot see Ubuntu changing a default search
engine provider when it has its own gaps in user privacy such as the Amazon
Scope.

I think the better aim is to get upstream to address the matter since then
such a change would be global.

> There is nothing that I can see which would prevent Ubuntu from doing a
> custom build of Firefox to include a different default – isn’t Ubuntu
> Firefox already branched from the official Mozilla tree due to licensing
> iirc (been a while but I think this certainly used to be the case).

Ubuntu has its own branches of all the packages it maintains in the repos
but specifically the reason we do not sync from Debian is because Debian
does not offer Firefox due to their own licensing issues. Ubuntu's Firefox
builds are for the most part vanilla aside from the Unity add-ons that get
baked in.

But this only addresses one browser... Your proposal is pretty big in scale
and would address multiple browsers and cut off Google revenue that keeps
many projects alive.

I'm not saying that the proposal is bad or wrong but that it is a difficult
one considering the revenue bit and other issues.

> ****
>
> ** **
>
> What barriers exists to prevent this?****
>
> ** **

I think the better question is what would the proposal solve?