man types.h

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Fri Jan 18 13:57:00 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 02:05:47PM +0100, Lanoxx wrote:
> On 17/01/13 13:40, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> >Am Donnerstag, den 17.01.2013, 13:11 +0100 schrieb Lanoxx:
> >>it seems that for solaris there exists a man page for types.h [1] but I
> >>could not find such a man page on ubuntu. Could someone give me a hint,
> >>why it does not exist or is the man page name just different on ubuntu?
> >
> >the manpage for types.h is in the manpages-posix-dev package, note that
> >we dont install devleoper documentation by default ...
>
> Thanks, that was what I was looking for. Maybe you can make
> manpages-dev recommend this package, so it is automatically
> installed if developer manpages are installed?

The one in manpages-posix-dev is not really quite the same.  What that
documents is what POSIX guarantees of <sys/types.h>, not what the system
provides; so it won't tell you about any system-specific extensions,
some of which might be very important to you (e.g. large file support).

I think manpages-posix(-dev) are useful packages and I'm glad they
exist; but I also think they should only be installed when people
explicitly ask for them, because it's quite easy to miss the fact that
you're looking at a manual page which documents POSIX guarantees rather
than your actual system.