Showing rebooting notifications in lightdm / unity greeter

Dmitrijs Ledkovs dmitrij.ledkov at ubuntu.com
Fri Feb 8 19:24:27 UTC 2013

On 7 February 2013 18:24, Alec Warner <antarus at google.com> wrote:
> We use the reboot-required file and the freedesktop notification
> framework to notify users that they should reboot.
>
> Users have requested that we show a notice at login time (before they
> login and start working.) Does anyone know if such a notification is
> feasible in the Greeter interface?

Notifications do work during greeter (at least in quantal and up)
E.g. network indicator can show connected/not-connected bubble.

I do wonder if one can add a custom indicator indicating that restart
is required. Or have the system cog go read and say restart required
there.

I guess somebody on unity-design mailing list might know better than me.

Regards,

Dmitrijs.