Ubuntu on Ouya?

James Haigh james.r.haigh at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 14:47:44 UTC 2013

Hi,

I've been looking for ARM laptops lately, and disappointed with my
findings, I wondered if it were possible to make one from a Raspberry Pi
or similar hardware. Having no idea how to actually do that, I instead
started thinking about desktops, which are almost always more
customisable. Then I realised that if Ubuntu were to work on the Ouya
I've recently bought, it could function as a very decent ARM desktop!
    Ideally, this would be a very good use-case for Ubuntu for Android.
I don't mind getting another Ouya (I'd also then have another controller
for my existing Ouya), but having both a full desktop experience and the
Ouya OS running simultaneously on one device would be very welcome!
    Since Canonical seem to be struggling to convince mainstream
manufacturers to ship Ubuntu for Android, they will most probably have
better luck with the people behind the Free/open-source games console.
    XBMC is available for the Ouya, so it can presumably be used as a
Myth frontend. With Ubuntu support, a USB TV tuner, a USB DVD drive, and
a USB HDD, it could probably serve pretty well as a tiny backend as well.
    Anyway, I don't yet see any support for it here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/DeviceSupport
    The Ouya is designed to be easy to take apart, root, and modify, so
I really hope to see Ubuntu support soon. Could it be supported ready
for April?

Thank you,
James Haigh.