Aptitude installed by default on 13.10?

Robert Holtzman holtzm at cox.net
Thu Apr 11 20:01:34 UTC 2013

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 04:44:25PM -0700, Clint Byrum wrote:
> On 2013-04-10 01:29, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> >On Tue, Apr 09, 2013 at 01:25:22PM -0700, Clint Byrum wrote:
> >>
> >>For computer enthusiasts and power users, the CLI is great. But
> >>for the
> >>person who sees their computing device as a window to other
> >>activities,
> >>it is a huge distraction.
> >
> >It's not a distraction if they choose not to use it.
>
> Just being presented with a choice is a distraction.

The only way a choice would be presented is if the user scanned the
screen showing all programs. If Grandma and Grandpa saw it, they
probably wouldn't know what it was and would ignore it.

> Which is more distracting, driving down a straight road from point A
> to point B without any intersections, or driving straight through
> the center of a busy metropolitan center? Even if you know where
> you're going, you might turn for some very reasonable reason, or
> just get lost due to all the things that can go wrong on those busy
> multi-purposed streets.
>
> Less obvious decision points is annoying to power users, but it is
> freeing to the average user.

Freeing them from what, learning? Granted, the average user isn't
interested in learning but they would be free to reject the opportunity
if they so chose. *That's* freedom.

I had dumped Ubuntu and gone back to Debian, mostly because of Marvelous
Mark's autocratic attitude. Just recently decided to try Ubuntu again to
see what had changed. After reading the attitude that, at least, some of
the devs display here about determining for the user what's best for
him/her, I guess I'll settle in with Debian and just lurk on this list.

So long and thanks for the heartburn.

--
Bob Holtzman
If you think you're getting free lunch,