Aptitude installed by default on 13.10?

Robert Bruce Park robert.park at canonical.com
Wed Apr 10 18:39:30 UTC 2013

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 11:22:28AM -0700, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 09, 2013 at 07:33:23PM +0000, Alan Jhonn Aguiar Schwyn wrote:
> > >Thereby removing one more user choice. Choice is one of the bedrocks of
> > >linux. Thanks guys. That's one of the main reasons I dumped ubuntu and
> > >went to debian.
> >
> > Have aptitude is a plus, you don't remove any choice:
> > if you want, do:sudo apt-get install aptitudeThe thing I hate is the proxy configuration for network..
> > is very expensive to have the "apply to the whole system"???
> > The actual behavior only sets the proxy for the current user,
> > and when you try do: sudo ... you can't !!
>
> You lost me. Could you clarify?

I think Alan is referring to the inconsistent implementations of
proxies in various packages. In particular, if he configures a proxy
for his current user, no commands he runs as "sudo" will observe that.
so if he's behind a proxy, nothing run under sudo can access the
internet properly. It's a pain.