Aptitude installed by default on 13.10?

Dmitrijs Ledkovs dmitrij.ledkov at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 9 12:21:31 UTC 2013

On 9 April 2013 12:45, Brett Cornwall <brettcornwall at lavabit.com> wrote:
> On 04/09/2013 06:31 AM, Dmitrijs Ledkovs wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> Aptitude is a fairly niche and highly technical package.
>
> <snip>
>
> I beg to differ:
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-pkgtools.en.html
>
> Official Debian docs, section 8.1.3 - aptitude:
>
> "Note that aptitude is the preferred program for daily package management
> from console".

Sure, that's why aptitude is seeded on ubuntu-server images, is in
main and supported.

> Dismissing this as a 'niche' tool hardly counts.

Maybe I was not very explicit - all console applications are "niche"
on the Ubuntu (gui) Desktop. And vice versa, gui-desktop applications
are nice on the Ubuntu (console) Server.

We have aptitude seeded where console is the default interface.

On ubuntu-desktop the default interface is unity with preferred
package management using:
- dash application scope
- software updater
- software center

Depending on the use-case/goal one uses one or combination of above.

> AFAIR, Debian was even trying to discourage usage of apt-get in the day in
> favor of aptitude before Ubuntu decided to drop aptitude in 10.10.

On Ubuntu Desktop we want to discourage usage of command line =) as
there is no need for that for non-developers.

Regards,

Dmitrijs.