Unity-2d packages in Raring

Didier Roche didrocks at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 2 07:11:44 UTC 2013

Le 01/04/2013 23:21, Scott Kitterman a écrit :
> On Monday, April 01, 2013 10:15:41 PM Colin Law wrote:
>>> Seems odd unless you are less than 12.10 but there could always be a
>>> deprecation period.
>> I am on Raring.
>> $ apt-cache policy unity-2d
>> unity-2d:
>>    Installed: 6.12.0daily13.04.01-0ubuntu1
>>    Candidate: 6.12.0daily13.04.01-0ubuntu1
>>    Version table:
>>   *** 6.12.0daily13.04.01-0ubuntu1 0
>>          500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ raring/universe i386
>> Packages 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>>
>> I do notice that they are all (unity-2d, unity-2d-spread and so on)
>> only a few kB each, perhaps they are just placeholders to satisfy
>> dependencies that have not been cleaned up yet.  On the other hand I
>> am getting updates to them every few days which seems odd.
> They are transitional packages that depend on unity to smooth updates.  Every
> time unity gets updated, they get updated too.
>
> Scott K

As Scott told, they are from Unity sources.

We need to keep them until next LTS as we support LTS to LTS upgrade so
that people who only had unity-2d installed will get transitioned to the
new Unity, even if they removed it in the previous LTS, so that they
don't end up in an empty session upon upgrade.

Cheers,
Didier