ext4 recovery/deleted orphans on reboot...

Daniel J Blueman daniel at quora.org
Mon Sep 24 23:48:06 UTC 2012

In Ubuntu 12.10 pre-release, I've frequently been observing ext4
recovery has been needed after reboot [1].

This clearly isn't expected, however could be a side-effect of eg
incomplete flushing after unmount before the ACPI/cf8 reset vector is
hit.

So, is this thought to be a kernel issue or userspace? I'm using a
256GB Samsung 830 SSD, but was seeing this on an OCZ Vertex 3
(Sandforce) SSD also.

Many thanks,
  Daniel

--- [1]

EXT4-fs (sda2): INFO: recovery required on readonly filesystem
EXT4-fs (sda2): write access will be enabled during recovery
EXT4-fs (sda2): orphan cleanup on readonly fs
EXT4-fs (sda2): ext4_orphan_cleanup: deleting unreferenced inode 394069
EXT4-fs (sda2): 1 orphan inode deleted
EXT4-fs (sda2): recovery complete
EXT4-fs (sda2): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)
--
Daniel J Blueman