chromium no longer maintained

Daniel Hollocher danielhollocher at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 11:13:34 UTC 2012

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 6:38 AM, Damian Ivanov <damianatorrpm at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Jordan, aacually what you describe is not a fork.
>
> "In software engineering, a project fork happens when developers take
> a copy of source code from one software package and start independent
> development on it, creating a distinct piece of software. The term
> often implies not merely a development branch, but a split in the
> developer community, a form of schism.[1]"
>
> The base of Chrome is Chromium
> Chrome = Chromium + other proprietary extensions.

As far as I'm concerned, this is the most correct view.  And for the
purpose of this discussion, they are practically the same.  The issue
here is that version 18 is considered outdated and insecure.  The
version of chromium that we should have right now is 21, whether it be
in the form of chromium-browser or google-chrome.

It would be nice if someone could step up and maintain the
chromium-browser version of chromium, but for whatever reason, that
isn't happening.  Shouldn't the ppas at least be updated to state that
the version held is out of date?  Shouldn't version 18 be removed from
the archive?

Dan