Update manager mandating rebooting

Dale Amon amon at vnl.com
Wed Oct 31 22:45:28 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 12:09:09PM -0500, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
> That's a subjective point of view, if libssl is vulnerable or the
> kernel is vulnerable you need to restart too, not because you can't
> restart services or use a rolling Kernel (read KSplice) but because
> there are multiple ways to look at it, from my perspective a login and
> logout is just as fast as a reboot (because reboot requires less steps
> for me since again I'm already in my terminal and my laptop boots at
> blazing speeds.)  I would much rather reboot than trust a system that
> assumes it knows every possible service that could be using a
> vulnerable lib reliably and reboot them.  It's easier that way. Easy
> is good but easy shouldn't be annoying like what you describe happens
> with update manager when you update >.>

It has long been the way of professional unix servers that
they almost never need to be rebooted except for a kernel
update, and on 'real' servers you only do that during scheduled
maintenance windows.

I look forward to the day when someone finds a way to reliably
switch into a new kernel so that I never need to reboot a
system ever again... except to take it out of service.