Update manager mandating rebooting

Daniel J Blueman daniel at quora.org
Wed Oct 31 11:49:30 UTC 2012

I'd love to hear what other users and developers think about this:

The refreshed update manager (almost) always displays "The computer needs
to restart to finish installing updates", with a default button "Restart"
highlighted. Not only that, the window close button is not present.

This is *exactly* the backward logic that I distance myself from windows
for. Before I'm told that it's needed to protect the user, security etc,
this was for a bug-fix to a library.

Just put a warning sign by the clock reminding the user to reboot and give
them a choice. The OS experience is about the computer being a tool for the
user, not imposing such ridiculous constraints.

Don't get me wrong; I love developing on Ubuntu and Linux and use it
exclusively in my professional and personal life. Now, I'd love to hear why
this (IMHO regression) made sense..
--
Daniel J Blueman