Default group

John Moser john.r.moser at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 20:15:08 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 3:52 PM, John Moser <john.r.moser at gmail.com> wrote:
> First:  that's why we need an interface that handles POSIX ACLs
> properly, long-overdue.

It actually occurs to me that this is probably not just technically
important, but important for planning purposes.  That is, we can sit
here arguing all day about theoretical use cases, but everybody is
going to have differing opinions that lean in odd directions until
certain things are fixed.  Or in short, as long as POSIX ACLs require
a scout badge in command line comfort, discussing how to leverage
POSIX ACLs is pointless because people don't want to think two steps
out.

Let's see if we can get anything agreeable on that.  It'll probably
look strikingly like Windows' Security tab, except without supplying
Allow/Deny, fine grained special permissions (which don't exist), or
having all the Windows main permissions.  So, it'll look like the only
thing that makes sense in general, and specifically for Unix.  That
is, a few rows of controls for Owner, Group, and then a list box of
permissions with one row with three checkboxes per row for each user
(Owner, Group, Everyone, individual users/groups).

Can we get that?