could you add this feature or discuss it at 13.04 Developer Summit?

Paul Graydon paul at paulgraydon.co.uk
Mon Oct 15 17:37:08 UTC 2012

Aloha,

In what kind of context are you looking for this information?  Do you
have an example tool or screenshot you can provide?
It's relatively straight forward to find out what is currently listening
to ports, there are two utilities that have been around a while, netstat
and ss.  You're better off using the latter as netstat is reaching
obsolescent, but you may occasionally find yourself stumbling across
boxes without ss.

To get a list of both active connections and listening services, try "ss
-plan".  You'll get lines like the following back (IP addresses changed
for security reasons):

LISTEN     0      50 *:3306                     *:*
users:(("mysqld",1384,13))

ESTAB      0      0            192.168.0.2:55366 192.168.0.3:143
users:(("thunderbird",4152,52))

The first line, LISTEN, tells you the machine I ran the command on is
listening for connections on port 3306, which happens to be the port
MySQL server uses.  The final column gives you the name of the program
that is related to that connection, which in this case confirms it's mysqld.
The second line ESTAB tells you there is an established connection from
the machine 192.168.0.2 (local address on the machine) to a remote
server on 192.168.0.3, port 143 (IMAP).  The final column tells you it's
thunderbird running on the machine.  By the way, if you're looking to
quickly translate ports to services, check /etc/services.  It's not an
exhaustive list but most of the standard ones are in there:

grep 3306 /etc/services
mysql        3306/tcp
mysql        3306/udp

Hope this helps in some way,