Ubuntu for Android

James Haigh james.r.haigh at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 19:13:47 UTC 2012

Chris,

The main problem I see is how the GPU is shared between Android and Ubuntu
(or other distros). I'm sure both systems won't cope with the GPU
'disappearing' and being handed to the other system. It's certainly not
acceptable to wait for a reboot each time the system is switched; both
systems should be running all the time so that background processes such as
alarms, downloads, and notifications can continue to function as expected.

So this is why I'm interested in a solution like VMGL - to somehow pipe the
graphics commands from one system into the GPU rendering handled by the
other.

Unfortunately, this isn't trivial because Android uses OpenGL ES, whereas
VMGL, Ubuntu, and other distros use OpenGL and X11.

James.