CMake and Ruby1.9 for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Benjamin Drung bdrung at ubuntu.com
Wed Nov 7 23:38:28 UTC 2012

Am Samstag, den 27.10.2012, 14:36 +0200 schrieb Chris Müller:
> Hi,
>
> We have some problems with the current cmake version on the Ubuntu 12.04
> LTS Distribution that can't find ruby1.9 libraries.
> A simple "find_package(Ruby)" in a CMakeLists.txt throws the follow
> error (Though ruby1.9-dev is installed):
>
>         -e:1: Use RbConfig instead of obsolete and deprecated Config.
>         -e:1: Use RbConfig instead of obsolete and deprecated Config.
>         -- Could NOT find Ruby (missing:  RUBY_LIBRARY) (found version
> "1.9.1")
>         -- Ruby library not found. Skipping Ruby parts for this package
>         -- found Ruby version 1.9.3
>

> There exists 5 commits for CMake 2.8.8 that are handling this.
> See: http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2012-October/052514.html
>
> Testing 2.8.9 (build from sources) let my minimal example working.
>
> I hope to reach the package maintainer for this because a bugfix in the
> ubuntu repositories would be the cleanest solution.

We have a stable release update (SRU) process [1], which can be applied
for this bug.

Someone needs to do the packaging work (grab the five patches and put it
in the source package), create a bug against cmake, state a test case
(commands to reproduce the error you stated above), think about possible
regressions.

We have no concept of package maintainers in Ubuntu. Every Ubuntu
developer can touch any package. We have the sponsoring process [2] for
getting a package uploaded if you do not have upload rights. You are
welcome to get involved and follow the SRU process [2] instead of
waiting for an Ubuntu developer to do it. We tend to be busy with a lot
of stuff.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates
[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SponsorshipProcess

--