EFF & Privacy; hopefully Ubuntu will listen to users

Didier Roche didrocks at ubuntu.com
Wed Nov 7 17:22:21 UTC 2012

Le 07/11/2012 17:16, J Fernyhough a écrit :
> On 7 November 2012 15:23, Colin Watson <cjwatson at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 05, 2012 at 03:28:44PM +0000, J Fernyhough wrote:
>>> I'm currently looking into how Ubuntu meets the provisions of the Data
>>> Protection Act 1998, and more crucially what would need to be done to
>>> meet the requirements, so that I have some base of evidence and legal
>>> reasoning to put forward (for example, at no point in the download or
>>> installation process is it identified which information is being
>>> gathered, how it will be stored, by whom, how it will be used, or who
>>> to contact).
>> Not during installation, but I believe I've seen a "Legal notice" link
>> displayed somewhere in the Unity UI which has that information.
>> (Apologies for vagueness; I don't work on this stuff myself.)
>>
> Yes indeed - but the notice itself isn't fully compliant. For example,
> who do I contact to find out what information is being stored about
> me? The linked privacy policy also makes no mention of lens searches.
> (Again, just examples, I'll be formulating something over the weekend
> (probably).)

Until you click on the link in the dash, you will see a Legal Notice
hyperlink going to a local version of a webpage having itself more
details on the Canonical general privacy policy.
Once you click on it, the link is modified to an icon which still link
to the same file.

If you see some missing explanation on the legale notice, please get in
touch with the community team on IRC who can link you with the legale
team who wrote this message to get it more comprehensible and complete,
but still legally valid ;)

Thanks,
Didier