Where is libgcr-3-common:i386?

Paul Smith paul at mad-scientist.net
Tue May 8 15:19:22 UTC 2012

I'm trying to run a program under Wine in my Ubuntu 12.04 64bit fresh
installation.  When I run it I get this error:

        p11-kit: couldn't load
        module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I've discovered that the 64bit version of that file lives in
gnome-keyring and so I tried to "sudo apt-get install
gnome-keyring:i386".  I found some libraries it requires and those
require other libraries, all of which do exist, until I get down to a
requirement for:

        $ sudo apt-get install libgcr-3-common:i386
        Package libgcr-3-common:i386 is not available, but is referred
        to by another package.
        This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted,
        or
        is only available from another source

        E: Package 'libgcr-3-common:i386' has no installation candidate

However it's odd because if I go to the Ubuntu site to look it up, that
library seems to be packaged properly; for example:

        https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/precise/i386/libgcr-3-common

Can anyone explain what the message means and how I can get a copy of
that library to install?  Am I missing some extra repo (I think I've
turned them all on at this point)?