Ubuntu One needs cloud encryption like LastPass does it

Jason Todd jtodd929 at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 22 18:41:42 UTC 2012

I read an article today about how Apple iCloud encrypts user data. It left me wishing Ubuntu One encrypted user data.

Personally, I don't use cloud services unless my data is encrypted before it leaves my computer.

I wanted to leave a note expressing my hopes that if Ubuntu One ever gets encryption capabilities, that the encryption be implemented in the same way that LASTPASS does it (http://lastpass.com). Which is that the data is all encrypted on the user's machine before it goes into the cloud, and the user is the only who has the key to decrypt the data. This kind of encryption setup would be safe & secure and would lead me to trust the Ubuntu One cloud services.

Thanks