Drop Gwibber from default install

Rodney Dawes rodney.dawes at canonical.com
Sun Mar 11 21:39:45 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-03-11 at 17:21 -0400, Evan Huus wrote:

> If the Twitter website is sufficiently fast and feature-full that
> Gwibber can never provide sufficient advantage to outweigh it's cost
> in maintenance and CD space, then the correct solution is to remove
> it. If it is believed that it can, in future, become more useful, then
> the correct solution is to improve it. Obviously neither of these are
> going to happen for Precise, as we are well past FeatureFreeze at this
> point.

The core problem with this argument, is that it assumes Gwibber is only
used as a Twitter client, and nothing more. And that is just flat out
wrong. Gwibber supports many social feed services, including private
status.net installations, identi.ca, Facebook, digg, and many others.

Saying it should be removed because Twitter has a live stream API, which
Gwibber is not yet using, and is only polling, is an overreaction. It's
also planned to implement support for that API in Gwibber, but nobody
has submitted a working, stable, tested patch, and available time to
implement said features, fix actual functional problems, and port to
new APIs, is not infinite.