Firefox: Font packages for MathML

Frédéric WANG fred.wang at free.fr
Sun Jul 8 09:49:50 UTC 2012

Dear Ubuntu developers,

I'm one of the main developer of the Mozilla MathML Project. As
explained here

https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Mozilla_MathML_Project/Fonts
http://www.maths-informatique-jeux.com/blog/frederic/?post/2012/04/21/Mozilla-MathML-Project%3A-about-mathematical-fonts

mathematical fonts are important for a good MathML rendering. The fonts
currently usable by the MathML rendering engine are

- STIX fonts (since Firefox 3.6)
- Asana Math font (since at least Firefox 7.0)
- MathJax fonts (since at least Firefox 13.0)

I just looked quickly at

http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/web/firefox

and found the "latex-xft-fonts" dependency which is marked unavailable.
I found an older version here:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/latex-xft-fonts

where the package is said to be useful for Mozilla Firefox with MathML
documents. This is no longer true, the LaTeX fonts were used before
Firefox 3.6). I would be grateful if you could update the Firefox
dependencies with the fonts mentioned above.

Note: I already informed the Debian maintainer of Iceweasel.

Thanks,

--
Frédéric Wang
maths-informatique-jeux.com/blog/frederic