Perf tool support in any ubuntu release

Rizwana Begum rizwana.043 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 15:37:08 UTC 2012

Hello All,

I am trying to use perf tool. I have installed ubuntu 12.04 on Pandaboard.
After booting up the system, installed linux-tools. Which installed
linux-tools-3.0.0-25. running the perf, gives following error.

perf_3.0.0-25 stat ls

Error: open_counter returned with 19 (No such device). /bin/dmesg may
provide additional information.

  Fatal: Not all events could be opened.

How do I fix the above problem? Did anyone get the perf to work on any
ubuntu build on Pandaboard? (I actually had it working on a daily build of
month of May, but that crashed and unfortunately I don't have its backup).
I can use any build if perf and cpufreq are available.

I have actually tried various builds.(11.04,11.10, 12.04 and 12.10 alpha).
However, I couldn't get perf tool to work in any of these builds with the
above steps.

This issue is actually blocking my research. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you