Ugly GRUB menu entries

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Wed Jan 18 11:43:57 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 08:32:35AM +0000, Paul Sladen wrote:
> I think it's an excellent idea to streamline the Grub menu.  Could you
> perhaps try to mock up before/after "screenshots", so that it's clear
> each change that you'd like to make?

As the Ubuntu GRUB maintainer I'd prefer text.  Since we aren't going to
be making large changes to the visual layout at least in this cycle,
text should be quite sufficient, and much less work for bug reporters
too.

I think there are bugs about most of this already.  The main source of
tedium is that we don't have reliable data for all of this.  Finding the
Windows boot loader at all in a consistent way is more of a pain than
you might think, and even with Ubuntu you have the question of how to
deal with kernels that originated with old Ubuntu releases but that are
associated with more recent userspace.

> If you're not sure where to file these;  you're welcome to file them
> against "Ubuntu branding" for the moment:
>
>   http://launchpad.net/ubuntu-branding/+filebug?field.title=Grub:+streamline+boot+entries

No need for a layer of indirection; the correct package is grub2 in
Ubuntu.